INBO Webinar – 27 February 2023
Alternet & SERE – The Nature Restoration Law: challenges for the scientific community
INBO hosted the fifth installment in the Alternet Science-Policy Interface seminar series on 27 February 2023 (14:00-15:30 CET). This free, open webinar was organized jointly with SERE (Society for Ecological Restoration Europe) on the subject of the Nature Restoration Law.
On 22 June 2022, the European Commission launched its proposal for an ambitious Nature Restoration Law that promotes a planned, science-based approach to better tackle both the biodiversity and climate crisis, in coordination with other existing European legislation. It is a potential game-changer for the implementation of nature-based solutions in our urban, agricultural, forestry and river/floodplain ecosystems and for boosting the resilience and integrity of the ecosystems in our protected areas.
Currently, discussions are ongoing within the European Council and the European Parliament and it is likely that the law will be passed by the end of 2023, followed by immediate implementation in all member states in 2024. The urgency is high and the timing is extremely tight. During the webinar, the law was introduced and challenges for the scientific community to support the implementation of the law were discussed.
Programme & Presentations
- Maurice Hoffmann, chair Alternet: Welcome and introduction
- Jordi Cortina, chair Society for Ecological Restoration Europe: Welcome and introduction SERE
- Karolina D’Cunha, Deputy Head of Natural Capital and Ecosystems Health Unit at the European Commission: Introduction to the EC proposal of a Nature Restoration Law
- Kris Decleer, senior researcher INBO and board member SERE: Challenges for the scientific community
- Discussion, moderated by Juliette Young (INRAE)