17 October 2023: NBS Conference in Bordeux, France
30 August – 9 September: Alternet Summer School 2023
Location: Peyresq, France
23-24 Feb 2023: Alternet Council Meeting
Location: INBO, Brussels
21-22 Feb 2023: Coop4CBD project launch
Location: INBO, Brussels
12-13 Jan 2023: Alternet MB Meeting
The annual in-person meeting of the Alternet Management Board will be held in Brussels, Belgium on 12-13 January 2023.
The BioAgora project was officially launched on November 10th in Helsinki, Finland. The launch event was hosted by the project lead partners at SYKE and was attended by Alternet and Eklipse leadership, as well as a great number of Alternet partners from diverse member institutes.
The ultimately successful BioAgora proposal consortium was brought together by Alternet and is recognized as a success story of the Alternet Call Exchange and consortium-building mechanism.
BioAgora is “a collaborative European project funded by the Horizon Europe programme. It aims to connect research results on biodiversity to the needs of decision-making in a targeted dialogue between scientists, other knowledge holders and policy actors.”
At the end of the project, the intended BioAgora output will be a “fair and functional” Science Service for Biodiversity in Europe. This service will be used to orchestrate the processes and initiatives of the European-scale science-policy interface.
Alternet & CESAM SPI Webinar: Challenges in marine conservation and sustainable use
CESAM hosted the fourth installment in the Alternet Science-Policy Interface seminar series on 27 October 2022. This free, open webinar addressed such topics as gaps in knowledge, biodiversity beyond national jurisdiction, and capacity building and technology transfer in marine sciences.
Presentations were be given by three specialist researchers. The webinar was moderated by Dr. Ana Lillebø, a well-established researcher in Coastal Ecosystems in a transdisciplinary context. Ana Lillebø is the Vice-Chair of Alternet Council and member of the 3rd Eklipse Knowledge Coordination Body.
- Dr Ana Hilário is a deep-sea ecologist which research is focused on biodiversity and biogeography of chemosynthetic ecosystems, reproductive ecology of invertebrates, and population connectivity. Ana has contributed to the policy process by authoring and reviewing the UN Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment I and II, and has worked with Portuguese Ministry of the Sea in the design of a national network of MPAs. Currently she co-leads Challenger 150 (www.challenger150.world), a 10-year programme of deep-sea biological science endorsed by UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development.
- Dr Catarina Eira develops research on biological sciences with emphasis on biodiversity conservation and marine biology. Catarina is the head of the Centre for Research and Rehabilitation of Marine Animals, dedicated to supporting the rescue, rehabilitation and release into the wild of marine animals, of the ECOMARE – Laboratory for the Innovation and Sustainability of Marine Biological Resources.
- Dr Cristina Pita is a specialist in fisheries, with a strong focus on small-scale fisheries, sustainable seafood markets, marine resource management, marine governance and coastal cultural heritage. Cristina integrates the pool of national experts for the United Nations World Ocean Assessment (UN-WOAII), covering the socioeconomic aspects of fisheries.
Alternet Summer School 2022
Alternet Summer School 2022 will be held 20-30 September in Peyresq. The theme of this year’s programme will be “Biodiversity and societal transformation: perspectives on science and policy.”
European Scientific Conference: Towards Pesticide Free Agriculture
In the context of the French Presidency of the Council of the European Union, INRAE is organising a conference on “Towards Pesticide Free Agriculture : What research to meet the pesticides reduction objectives embedded in the European Green Deal?” as part of the official presidency programme.
The conference, which will take place on the 2-3 June 2022 in Dijon, France, will provide a state of play of the science fronts that the European research is exploring in order to break away from the current food system known to be heavily dependent on chemical pesticides. The major goal is to contribute to respond to the ambitious pesticide reduction objective of the European Green Deal. In order to encourage exchanges among participants, there will be no visioconference system – participation requires physical presence.
We are pleased to welcome members of the Alternet community to this event.
Science-Policy Webinar hosted by SYKE and Alternet
On 3 February 2022, SYKE will host the first of Alternet’s SPI seminar series. This special webinar will feature introductions to the European biodiversity and ecosystems science-policy landscape and Alternet SPI activities, a keynote on supporting biodiversity governance and policies in the EU with science, a panel discussion with science-policy specialists from relevant fields, and more.
Contributing speakers will include: Maurice Hoffmann (INBO, Alternet), Eeva Primmer (SYKE), Eeva Furman (SYKE), Ben Delbaere (Delbaere Consulting), Marie Vandewalle (UFZ, Eklipse), Riikka Paloniemi (SYKE), Juliette Young (INRAE), as well as the following panel speakers:
- Forestry: Georg Winkel, Wageningen University
- Health: Babette Simon, Faculté de Santé, Université de Paris
- Urban development: Niki Frantzeskaki, Utrecht University
- Critical comments and questions to the panelists by Riikka Paloniemi, SYKE, and Juliette Young, INRAE
Date: 3 February 2022
Webinar Link: TBD
Learn more on the official event page.
Implementing the Collective Approach in Agri-environmental Schemes – Evidence from Science and Practice
On the 28th of January 2022 from 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. the EU-funded research & innovation project Contracts2.0 hosts an Online Policy Event entitled: Implementing the Collective Approach in Agri-environmental Schemes – Evidence from Science and Practice.
Contracts2.0 develops innovative contractual solutions to strengthen participation in agri-environmental measures (AEM) and improve their effectiveness. One of the innovative approaches looked at, is the collective implementation of AEM.
This event summarizes relevant project results focusing on the collective approach to inform stakeholders involved in implementing the national strategic plans across Europe. In the first part, we will present findings from our scientific work packages: How to facilitate effective and efficient implementation of this novel approach? The second part will shine a light on the diversity of collective agreements.
Three case studies (UK, BE, and NL) will illustrate different implementation depths of the collective approach. A Q&A session will conclude the event. We want to discuss the practical implementation and its potential policy implications with a panel and the audience.
- Save the date: 28 January 2022 from 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Exploring Landscape Boundaries – Open Seminars
Established at the EMÜ (Estonian University of Life Sciences), Chair of Landscape Architecture, the monthly ELB seminars bring together scientists, specialists, researchers, explorers, and students from different disciplines to talk about their work on the topic of landscapes.
The hosts aim to promote the open science movement and landscape architecture as an interdisciplinary profession. They also aim to bring a holistic understanding of the importance of landscape today.
Next seminar: Friday, 26 November – 12:00 CET
Connect with the ELB hosts:
Management Board Meeting 2021
The 2021 meeting of the Alternet Management Board will meet at INBO in Brussels, with the possibility of virtual participation for those who cannot attend in-person.
- Dates: 3rd-4th November 2021, noon-till-noon
Alternet Summer School 2021: 6-16th October
The 2021 Summer School will take place in Peyresq 6-16th October 2021, subject to national COVID regulations on travel. Open to graduate and postgraduate scientists (as well as professionals in related fields), the Alternet Summer School provides an innovative atmosphere for considering and resolving the sustainability challenges that society is currently facing.
Peyresq, a picturesque village in the Haute-de-Provence Alpes, provides an unparalleled setting for dynamic discussions.
Key topics include:
- Biodiversity loss and conservation
- Ecosystem services, ecosystem service valuation, and nature’s contributions to people
- The biodiversity science-policy interface
- Inter- and trans-disciplinary approaches to ecosystem sciences
- Working with stakeholders to foster transformative change
Climate Change and Health nexus | EU Green Deal webinar series
Alternet members are invited to the upcoming HERA webinar from the series Research for the EU Green Deal. This 4th webinar will focus on Climate Change and Health interlinkages and will be held on September 17th, at 2:00 PM CET (Paris/Prague/Geneva time).
This webinar will be chaired by Pr. Robert Barouki from Inserm, Université de Paris, France. Our distinguished guest speakers will be exploring some aspects at Climate Change and Health nexus. HERA recommendations for further research will be presented and discussed, further discussion is suggested on the recent IPCC report.
Speakers and topics will include:
- Lisbeth Hall (National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, NL)
Impacts of climate change on health and health impacts of climate mitigation measures
- Jérôme Boissier (Université de Perpignan, FR)
Persistent establishment of a tropical disease in the south of Europe : the case of Schistosomiasis
- Ariana Zeka (Brunel University, London, UK)
Migration/social inequalities linked to climate change
- Martin Herrmann (German Alliance on Climate Change and Health, DE)
Transformational change and Climate change
The webinar is organized by the HERA project consortium on a GoToMeeting platform and will be run in English only. We also look for active participation and questions from the audience.
Please register here and we would appreciate you sharing information about this event within your organizations or networks.
In-Between Council Meeting 2021
The in-between meeting of the Alternet Council to finalize the 2021 budget will be held virtually.
- Dates: 26 February 2021
One Planet Summit for Biodiversity
France, with the United Nations and the World Bank, is organizing a ‘One Planet Summit’ for biodiversity on 11 January 2021 in Paris. The Summit will bring together heads of state and government, leaders of international organizations, financial institutions, companies and NGOs, all ready to demonstrate that their commitments are leading to concrete actions to preserve and restore biodiversity, and to lead systemic transformations of our economies. This high-level meeting is a major milestone for the political mobilization for nature in 2021, the year that should lead to an ambitious new international agreement on biodiversity.
- Date: 11 January 2021
Alternet Council Meeting 2020
The 2020 meeting of the Alternet Council was hosted by CESAM and held virtually.
- Dates: 10-11 December 2020